Getting Ready For Change

This is for my friends who are familiar with real winters. 

I have been a plant lady for a good long time. But, and it is a big but, I have been a plant lady in a very moderate climate. Winter is coming, a real winter. Nothing like the ones I have been accustomed to.

I have a few plants in large pots, quite large in fact, and I haven't a clue what people do with them when winter comes. Do you pull all your plants into the house?!?!?!

I've had an olive tree for about 6 years and I am rather attached to it. I don't want to lose it but I am not sure how to proceed.

Any advice is welcome.

Comments

  1. Here, we don’t leave plants to overwinter in pots outside. The pot would freeze solid and the plant wouldn’t have a chance. We’d put the plant in the earth where it would have a better shot at survival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I searched online to see if olive trees can safely over-winter in Oregon. The answer was yes. There's lot of info out there about how to do it. I hope all goes well with all of your plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bring them in (Michigan=cold and snow) but I have bad light inside and so they don't always make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sinking the pot in the ground would be ideal, but might not be possible. What I've done in the past is wrap the pot in 4 or 5 layers of bubble wrap, in hopes of providing the insulation for the roots that the ground would otherwise provide. Carol in Philadelphia, PA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to wrapping the pots and we also wrap the entire plant - check garden supply shops,
    burlap is good. But we also bring plants indoors, some overwinter in the dark like basement or garage, others get pride of place in the living room.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear