Fall All Over

Fall is coming and with it brings anticipation of the stunning beauty nature offers up as the temperatures cool. 

There is a snappy breeze, the best kind. The one that feathers the face with a chill but doesn’t dare to go even 1/8 of an inch deeper. 

Scatterings of needles are floating down as I toil in the back of beyond. The scents take me back to the childhood summers spent just outside of Yosemite. The Douglas fir and cedars are my playmates today, not the cousins that populated the school breaks of childhood, but now, only seeing an occasional picture of on social media. They were playmates of convenience for our families. Definitely not kindred spirits. 

It saddens me when my nose becomes acclimated and no longer notices the beautiful scents in the back of beyond. It so human to acquire or witness something wonderful only to start looking for beauty elsewhere when the first one becomes everyday. That hasn’t started for us yet in our new home, our new city. We love it here and, universe willing, this is where we will walk each other home, neither one of us wanting to be the one left behind.

The azaleas are trying to recover from a lace bug assault. Apparently we are not the only ones. It is so widespread here that Azaleas have been removed from the "easy to grow" list.

Some are doing better than others.

The ivy is a constant battle and one of these days I'll pull it all out but not yet. I need a plan first.

The yews in back are threatening to choke out the smaller azaleas and even the larger rhodys. I need to get ahold of the situation but am feeling overwhelmed. I think they were misplanted by the previous owner. They’re just way too big for the space.


I’ll face it another day or the day after that or maybe next year. There’s no rush.

Happy Monday and Happy Labor Day to those that celebrate♥

Comments

  1. Everything looks nice and green at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plants don't thrive or they thrive TOO much. I have a ginkgo tree that refuses to die. I've gotten rid of it (professionally) three times and it just keeps coming back. Problem is that it's too close to my house and very quick growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful plants in your backyard. Too bad about the azalea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is starting to look like fall here too. Such a beautiful time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed the pictures. I lived in Washington State (Kent) for a few years in the early 1960s. I have a very strong memory of the azaleas and rhododendrums. I'm sad to hear the azaleas are struggling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear