The Best Medicine

Today was one of my days off from work. I was enjoying myself in the garden until I remembered I hadn't put the prescription ear drops in. Going inside, I started looking around for them. They weren't in my purse, or in the bathroom or on the kitchen sink. Frustrated with myself, I start to look around and finally found the bottle, if one could still call it a bottle, in the middle of the giant dog bed, with tiny puncture wounds all over it. Of course, it was empty. 

I find the package insert and it says if taken by mouth "call the doctor". So I did. I called into my office and let them know my pup had consumed at least some of the bottle of  Ofloxacin. They checked with their resident expert on medications. She got on the phone with me and asked a few questions but assured me there was not enough to worry about. "Great! Thanks", I say to her.

And then she says, "Well, have we learned anything from this?". I was a little surprised and just said, "It's very hard to know you have dropped something when you are deaf",  but when I got off the phone and thought about it, I started getting pissed off. Who the hell does she think she is talking to me like I am 3.

Then, taking a deep breath, I realized that this is probably what she heard growing up. Shaming instead of listening or understanding or just chalking something up to an accident.

I let her off the hook. I let me off the hook for it happening. Now everyone is happy including Hazel the dog.

Comments

  1. Well, so long as Hazel is okay, I guess that's the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Hazel is OK. And I might add, deaf or not, if the bottle dropped on the dog bed, who would hear it? For that matter, how many times do we drop things that we don't process were dropped -- ambient noise, our brains thinking ahead and just not listening? She really should know better. She could have said the same thing apart from "Have you learned anything else from this?" and it would have turned from patronizing to compassionate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your dog is okay. I am a little taken aback by that resident medication expert's comment. I'm glad you let her off the hook. That was thoughtful and very kind of you. I wonder if she learned anything from that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tone and "we" would make me angry too. I'm not sure I could let it go but good for you for doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad the dog was ok. I am not sure I would be able to keep my composure with her though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stand people (especially doctors!) who act that way! There's no justification for a medical professional to talk to patients like that. And I'm glad Hazel is OK which is, of course, the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief. My retort would have been something to the effect of 'I'm not the only one who needs to take a lesson from this exchange...' Still, that is a wonderful gift you gave to her AND to yourself ~ letting it go. I still work at that. I'm better than I was, but after all these years, I STILL struggle. While I am good at letting others off the hook, I really do a crap job of letting myself off it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear