Facing The music

“ What do you do when you’re down Winnie?” I ask.

Looking at me with her loving smile, she replies, “Oh, I’m glad you ask. My friends and I were just discussing that. Each of them had a little something to add but we all agreed that music almost always does the trick. I forget that sometimes. I get in the dumps and seem to want to stay there a while.”

“What kind of music do you like?”, I ask, curious what 85 year olds listen to. Is she like me and still loves the music from her high school years? Elvis was just getting started but the Kingston Trio were popular in 1957.  Rock and Roll was in its infancy. Tequila, the song, was big but my Winnie, she’s a gin girl so….

She replies that she loves praise music, which I should have known, but other music too. One of her grandsons is a very talented musician and she likes his music.

“Do you have a lot of CD’s?” I ask.

With a twinkle in her eye, she waves off pesky old cd’s and tells me she gets most of her music from Google Play or Spotify. She prefers her Spotify because it is commercial free.

She never ceases to amaze me, this 4’11” bundle of love.

Comments

  1. Winnie is "with it," man! I still use CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise Winnie! Music really can lift my mood, even during times of depression. Classical, choral, and polyphony for me, usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winnie's smart! I have loads of CDs and they take up a lot of real estate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the thing about older people. They defy stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Spotify for free and the commercials are a real pain in the ass. However I love the variety you can find on Spotify. Lately I've been listening to Helen Jane Long and Ludovico Einaudi.
    (I am slowly making my way out of the dark after nearly two years)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Don't Be A Bob

Let's Be Perfectly Clear