Lending An Ear - Quite Literally

As the auditory world becomes less accessible, I find I have to make a choice to take part even when I don’t know what is being said, even when I know I won’t be able to hear. 

Connection is so important. I figured that out late in life and now that I know what it is, and how much it enriches life, I don’t want to do without it. 

The ACA meetings I attend are vital to my growth, understanding and connection but I have to admit that I am only hearing about a quarter of what takes place. I do my best, sit in a central, unimpeded location, watch faces, turn up those tiny contraptions that make life hearable and still I miss so much BUT I have a lovely weapon that helps me connect. Wherever I go, if the Boy Scout is with me, I have a veritable tape recorder. Boy Scout has a great memory so after each meeting, we go down the list and he gives me a summary of what each person has shared. I get the opportunity to connect even though it may be second hand. I am grateful for that because it matters what people say. I want them to know that I listen and care.

I will not retire to my home because I can’t hear. I will not isolate my body even when my ears make me feel alone. This is a battle worth fighting. I need people. I have something to offer. 

I will connect.  

Comments

  1. Good for you! Keep striving and participating and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you get a cochlear implant? Are there AA meetings for the deaf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fortunate that you have the Boy Scout to help you keep engaged. I admire you for putting yourself out there and staying involved, even when the lack of hearing makes you want to withdraw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, a little help can do a lot

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your attitude and that you plan to stay engaged. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! This is great! You two are a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said! I love that he goes, too. And no, never lock yourself away from the world. You've got this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear