Kindness Can Change The World

 Good morning,

The other morning, while spending time with my sleeping soldiers, I had a surprise. It was a rare clear day which, since I am in Portland, was unusual. The sun was still behind the mountains and the sky was the beautiful inky blue that is tinged with the subtle pink found in pale roses. My favorite time of day.

Around 7:15am a worker passed by in a truck, later a small fork lift followed. A few minutes after that, a small white car passed and went down the hill. My spot at the apex of the cemetery was solitary again. I sat and listened to a workshop put on by Eckhart Tolle and Wayne Dyer call The Importance of Being Extraordinary. In contemplation, I watched the sky lighten as the little white car drove past me slowly about 20 minutes after the first pass.

I noticed a red light in my rear view mirror and watched as the white car backed up….back, back, back, until her window aligned with mine. Braving the cold, I watched as she rolled her window down. A small white haired gal beckoned me to roll mine down too. I’d say she was old but I realized we are probably not that far apart in age so I will refrain from that particular descriptor. I rolled my window down and said good morning to her. She replied with the same. Then she looked at me seriously and said, “Are you alright? Is everything ok?” I gave a small laugh, realizing how it must look, me sitting in a cemetery before the day even begins, and let her know I was just fine. I told her I often start my day here and that all was well.

She smiled and indicated she just wanted to be sure.

It was a very kind gesture. It was one human reaching out to another, willing to put out a hand just in case a hand was needed. It touched my heart and reminded me that that is the kind of person I always want to be. 

Happy Tuesday♥️

Comments

  1. What a wonderful gesture! She is a caring person for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The milk of human kindness still runs in some people's veins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do the same. I always check and I'm glad you're doing well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. What a lovely start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have done the same and have when I saw an older gentleman sitting in a chair next to a grave at the cemetery. I heard all about his late wife who had recently died. He was distraught and lonely and needed someone to listen to his stories about her. I was that person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only was she extremely kind and good, she was a bit brave to approach a stranger like that. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear