What Do You Regret?

Lord I was young. Not only young but my world was very small. I preface this story with that because it is important to give myself some leeway, allowing a little bit of grace. And maybe I am asking a little of the same from you.

I am from a family with a great work ethic and we all have worked our way up to really decent middle class jobs but we were not especially informed or remotely political. 

I had snagged a great job with a great local family and had been promoted to a position that had me pinching myself. My boss and I traveled to Atlanta to meet with a division of Donnelly Marketing. They were wooing us. They should have wooed us, we were a nice little bit of very consistent business. At the height, I was mailing about 60 million pieces of mail a year. So, more than a million cards were going out weekly.

Yes....they were wooing us in Atlanta. Took us to come great meals. Put us up in a lovely hotel and set up a number of pressure filled meetings. We were asking for some things, they were asking for some things. All that give and take going on.

After they made a request, my employer looked over at me and said, "Do you think you would be able to to that for me? That would be helpful."

I looked at my boss, who was also my friend, I smiled at him and said, "You da Boss!"

Yep, I did that. At a business meeting with about 25 people sitting at tables set up in a circle. Of those 25, probably 17 were black. 

I cringe at this memory and my stupidity and wish I could go back and apologize for my words.

They call what I do now a "living amends". I try hard to understand what it is like to walk in another person's shoes. I try hard to understand the privilege I experience just because of the color of my skin. I attempt to vote on the side of advocates that seem to do the same.

I try.....

Comments

  1. All we can do about cringe-worthy memories like that is to follow the adage "When we know better, we do better." Leave it in the past where it belongs. You are not that person any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live, and (if we are lucky) we learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few cringe-worthy memories myself. At least these difficult flashbacks prove we're sensitive, caring human beings, trying to say and do the right thing. What kind of people would we be if we had no regrets? So we simply have to live, learn... and cringe once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have that cringe-worthy moment that seemed fine at the time and later -- well, not so fine. W ehave to just kiss them as learning experiences, even if the learning came late!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I re-read this post several times trying to find the regrettable moment. Then I saw it. We all look back at our young selves and think, "Holy shit, what was I thinking?" Your wish to go back in time to apologize is the journey your heart has already taken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m with Debra. When we know better, we do better. Move on with the wisdom you’ve gained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all have moments we regret. Me, too. All we can do is learn from these moments and try to do better. The fact that you recognized it and tried to learn from it speaks volumes :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!