Pump it Up

I may have written about this before but I am getting along in age so I will proceed as if I have not. 

Months into our relationship, that started exactly 8 years and 364 days ago, the Boy Scout and I were off to some unremembered destination. The memory of the trip is gone but one little event was seared into my memory (and also his). 

Driving down the 101 Freeway, I noticed my gas gauge is on empty. I quickly exit the freeway and there is a gas station at the end of the exit. I stop, turn the car off, wait for few seconds, grabbed my purse, retrieve my credit card, wait a few seconds, and then get out to pump the gas. It was cold, I remember that.

I get back in the car and Boy Scout is doing something on his phone. I look at him and then state clearly, "When I need gas and you are in the car, I don't ever want to pump that gas again". He looked surprised and then nodded his head with understanding and said, "Fair enough". BOUNDRY SET!

He's honored that boundary. I wasn't being fussy or high maintenance but I did most of the driving and almost always paid for my own gas. It seems fair that he could do the pumping (besides I really hate doing it).

No longer an issue. The state of Oregon does not allow it's citizens to pump their own gas. Something like the way New York used to require elevator operators, only gas station employees can pump. Silly rule that can certainly mean it takes longer but, quite honestly, I am so grateful because it has been bloody cold  and although I feel for these attendants, I am ecstatic at not having to get out of the car when it's 34 degrees out. 

So in regards to gas, Oregon has been a win/win for me and Boy Scout.

Comments

  1. Most gas stations here in Alberta are self-serve, but there's a couple of companies that still do offer pump service. Those are the ones I go to! I dislike pumping my own gas too and, given the high price we pay for it, I figure the gas companies can afford to pay someone minimum wage to pump it for me. I have the same philosophy about "self checkout stations" in grocery stores, etc. too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Let's keep people employed when we can. Besides self serve groceries are a pain.

      Delete
  2. I always loved that in the places I lived where they pump the gas. I must admit that I have never pumped my own gas. I've pumped my own water when we were hauling it though! :-)

    Happy anniversary to you and the Boy Scout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give you lots of brownie points for the water thing. It is a personal goal to never live anywhere where I have to pump or carry water.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, I had forgotten that we couldn't pump gas ourselves in Oregon. We used to drive through Oregon often when we lived in Port Townsend, WA and would travel back to California to see family. It's kind of like the do-it-yourself checkout registers at the local market. I always think it's better to employ people.
    Happy Anniversary to you and your love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! Never thought we'd make it but here we are.

      Delete
  4. I’ve never heard of such a law about pumping gas. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea! I think we've been pumping gas in Michigan for what seems like ever -- although I do remember being able to go in and say "fill 'er up!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that pumping your gas is still not allowed in Oregon. I always liked it when it was cold or raining. Have a good week, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear