Not What We Expect But What We Get

The Boy Scout and I still have things we are finding out about each other. One reason for that is that in the past neither of us were very “safe” receivers of each others hearts. I had a way of weaponizing information and, truthfully, so did he. The other reason is that we are just getting to know ourselves in ways we never dreamed was possible. I am unable to share what I am not aware of.

Today, he shared a sweet part of his heart. We were talking about neighbors and how much gratitude we have for the people on our street. Yesterday the two kids from next door came over with two “Valentimes” cupcakes. "Happy Valetimes", they say with glee as he opens the door. They brought two but they only have eyes for him. It’s the Boy Scout they absolutely love and he loves them back. He could not stop smiling  

Later, he says to me, “One thing that makes me feel the presence of God is with children. It’s like He said, “I know you wanted kids and didn’t get them but I’ve made sure that kids and dogs just love you”. He is right. Kids and dogs love that man. Maybe it is his deep voice but more likely it is his childlike willingness to get down to their level. He plays peekaboo in restaurants (and never seems to tire of it), waves at any kid walking by and they all seem to love it. Kids that know him light up when they see him.

I enjoy the interaction and how unconditional he is with them. It is definitely a gift. 

Comments

  1. My Rare One has that same kind of exuberance, especially with babies. She just gushes over every baby she sees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a gift to have such a relationship with children. No everyone can do that. It is pretty special alright. As is he by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely neighbourhood! I am so happy for you both that you ended up there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think children are natural healers. Their joy and enthusiasm for life rubs off on the rest of us just when we need it. I'm a recently retired elementary school teacher and I remember well the sparks of joy my young students gave me throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My twin brother has that kind of relationship with all the children he meets too. They are drawn to him with such exuberance and love. Kids just know sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You found the right place to live with caring people like you are. I think our Greg is like your Boy Scout -- he just "gets" kids and they gravitate to him like the Pied Piper. I've always thought that should be his calling but you can't force that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can be sure the children get as much out of it (maybe more) than he does. Kids just can't have too many adults interested in them and encouraging them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's wonderful the kids love him and they get along. Sounds like a great situation to be in and part of. I loved playing hide and seek when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear