Where Are You From?

I have 5 siblings. Of the 5, we all dabbled in the pursuit of higher education at differing levels. None of the dabbling was serious. One of my sisters, at the age of 45, went back and got her RN after decades of working as a LVN. Aside from that, we all went into the workplace and, equipped with an excellent work ethic, each made our way, working up the proverbial ladder.

Ensconced solidly in the middle-class, we, for the most part, rose above our "prescribed at birth" stations. We dun good.

When I realized that my kids would be able to attend university it was a dream come true-FOR ME. Born from a sense of feeling less than, I deeply regretted not going to college, believing, somehow, that would fix the problem within.

When I did send the first three off to school, deep inside I wondered if they would be able to come home. Would they still relate to this family of blue collars? Would they still have respect for me and what I have to offer the world?

I feel comfortable in the knowledge that we still connect on many levels but when I listen to them discuss topics that can be far too erudite for my brain to grasp, I marvel at what education has handed them. The ability to not only dig beneath the surface but to pull in from all directions, think way outside the box, with an openness that not only makes the world a better place but makes me want to be a better person.

Now that I am learning to love myself, the college regret is lessening. I have something to offer these kids still. An open heart, a willing ear, a cheerleader always in their corner and a true friend.

Not too bad for a girl from the wrong side of the tracks.

Comments

  1. A good education is important, but college is not the only place to get one. Just living real life is a good place too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with Debra. Some of the most interesting and successful people I know didn’t go to college. You did well, Linda and you’re beginning to know that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad at all! College is just one part of it and not for all. What matters is what you DO with your life. And you've done much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not everyone is into college and there are many ways to get an education. Curiosity and an open mind go a long way! They help both within academia and outside it :-) Kudos to your kids for making the most of their college experience--not all students do. And kudos to you for knowing what was best for you and educating yourself that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your life and experiences are the great teachers anyone could have and they're working well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, as well as my 3 siblings, chose University. So did my mother and her father before her. My mother was adamant University would teach us to be "thinkers". Did it? Maybe it helped to some degree but I'm pretty sure life experience was my biggest teacher. My boys both chose a College education leading to future careers in the trades. I was all for it and still am. Are they "thinkers"? I sure like to think so. What I'm most proud of though, is the fact they chose their own career paths and feel pretty good about themselves as they make their way along it. Just like you, I'm trying to be a great cheerleader in their corner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear