Make Yourself At Home

We did not get the house that we made an offer on. It went to the person that offered $75,000 over the asking price. Yup! It takes an extra 50 to 75K to get a sellers attention.

My inner critical parent mocked me and asked me who the hell I thought I was, thinking I could live in such a nice area. She reminded me of where I came from and told me I didn't deserve anything better than that.

Luckily, I've acquired some handy tools to deal with her, that voice that tries to keep me small and living in scarcity. I combat her negativity with love.

In ACA we have a reading that is called The Solution. It begins:

The solution is to become your own loving parent

As ACA becomes a safe place for you, you will find freedom to express all the hurts and fears you have kept inside and to free yourself from the shame and blame that are carryovers from the past. You will become an adult who is imprisoned no longer by childhood reactions. You will recover the child within you, learning to accept and love yourself.

ACA talks about the generational nature of family dysfunction. Our parents didn't just decide to let us down, be unkind or perhaps even abuse us. They were handed a bundle of dysfunction that had been handed down generation after generation. I picked up my bundles from both my parents and added a little of myself to give it a new flavor. The Solution reminds me to put my bundle down and look at it carefully to figure out what I can let go of. I get to rewrite the negative thoughts in my head and talk to myself like a loving, emotionally sober adult would. It's working well, not perfect, but a damn sight better than how my old life was going.

I am grateful.

Tomorrow we resume the hunt for a home. 

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

  1. That new home is waiting for you somewhere out there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you did not get the house. It's a tough time in the real estate market these days. I had the silly idea to look for a house here and there were only eight on the market, all over-priced and huge. I'm hoping things change and that you find the house of your dreams there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the house but I'm grateful you have the tools to work with for when you are slammed with something like that. Real estate prices are intense, that's for sure. Good wishes you find something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that you didn't get the house. My fingers are crossed that your new home is going to pop up in your path very soon.

    Well done for recognizing and accepting your feelings, knowing where they come from, and being able to productively and positively manage them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God having lived this I get it. The only reason we got this one is it is a bit off the beaten path so we got lucky with just $36K over asking. We lowered our expectations so much I am about to move into a house I don't even like just to not be homeless! I hope this ends soon for you and you find the prefect home that is waiting for you 3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry this one didn't work out. Hopefully the next one will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll find your home, it's out there waiting for you. You just need time and a bit of luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear