Tough As Old Boots

It’s hard to keep my Goddess gown on and my princess tiara straight at this moment.  

I am only learning to love myself, find value in my knowledge, wisdom and life experience. Today my tiara sits tilted. 

I get a message expressing interest in my skills and experience. We go back and forth. A phone interview is scheduled. I find a quiet spot in the car. I am snuggly warm and comfortable. I am confident. We hit it off. I am able to verbalize my abilities and accept my limitations with respect to my work experience. We speak of a certain position but I am also asked if I would be interested in other positions that would contract jobs through their employment placement company. They include decent benefits so, yes, I would be interested. “Great” they say. “The logistics company is looking for a long term position. Would that interest you?” she says. “Absolutely”, I reply. She keeps niggling, she keeps chewing away. Eventually she gets what she wants and quickly ends the call. I somehow fed it to her without realizing I had. 

I’m too old. Past the date of expiration. I won’t hear back from her on this or other positions. I don’t blame her. She’s doing her job however despicable. I don’t blame anyone right now. I don’t feel confident. My gown is at the dry cleaner. 

I’m lonely. I miss my family. I miss my people. I miss home.

I’ll shine my tiara tonight and be right as rain tomorrow. Under my gown will be a sturdy pair of work boots. I may not be young but I am resilient.


Comments

  1. how did she get to your age? what did she ask? I lived this hence why at 50 I had to start a business because no one would hire either of us losing our jobs at 50 and 51. Starbucks hired me and then said they needed me before my original start date. However they called my cell and I was at a schedule vacation. I said I could be there within 24 hrs and they got pissed and said don't bother to come at all then. How bad is that? I was given a start date two weeks away from my last interview. Then they call and say you need to start today. I couldn't even drive that fast in one day. So I was fired before I could start. Nice huh? I understand what you are going through. I'm so sorry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things feel better today.

    It is so hard to overcome societal/cultural crap like this while keeping a healthy sense of self esteem. I've almost always been an outsider so have had to learn to deal with it, but it took decades and was excruciating at times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear