Keeping The Faith Baby!

I am, as you must be aware, looking for a job.

I saw an ad recently for an accounting tech at George Fox University. It sounded great. I had all the qualifications but one.

I have all these:

  • A commitment to working with a diverse population of people is essential; demonstrated experience in this area is preferred.
  • 2-3+ years of experience in payroll.
  • Highly motivated, autonomous and proactive with a genuine interest in employee experience.
  • The ability to maintain confidentiality, display discretion and protect the privacy of information.
  • Strong written and verbal communications skills.
  • Demonstrated professional attitude and excellent customer service skills.
  • Demonstrated strong attention to detail, organizational and analytical skills in business setting.
  • Must have permanent and unrestricted work authorization in the United States.
But the one I don't have is:
  • Evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the university's mission as described in the Statement of Faith and Community Lifestyle Statement on our website.
I am curious how so many of the evangelicals disqualify, dismiss or dispute their more liberal counterparts. I haven't read, "Thou shalt be conservative". 

Odd!

Comments

  1. That's very odd. I suppose it's legal as a private U but still.... I wonder how many good candidates they throw away. Would you still want to work there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the way things are these days, that would be a difficult place to work maybe. I hope something great comes your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned a long time ago that those that profess loudly that they are Christian are the most unChristian like people on earth. Do they really believe God will only help them? God will only hire those who think just like him? No he didn't make us that way. He helped prostitutes, lepers, those who shunned him. Have they never read the bible? This applies to everyone. I had a great employee who was a religious fanatic. He knew that had no place in business and respected the company policy and I really respected him for getting it. You wouldn't have wanted to work there anyway but I know how frustrating that is when you qualify for this very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While it would not be legal here they would select their candidate with trick questions and whatever it takes. Imagine working in such an environment. You will find a better offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to be involved with a Quaker church that was part of this evangelical wing of the Quakers, but they got kicked out, along with a few others, including one in PDX, for being too liberal. When Bill and I left south-central Oregon, we did so with private funding from the same church to do a project on how other liberal churches were responding to the economic crisis that was happening at the time. We visited churches across the country. We went to a church in Idaho that was Quaker in name, but extremely right-wing and nasty. I sat in the service and literally cried. We were only there because a dear friend asked us to visit that church. He was devastated when he asked how it went and I had to tell him that when we gave him the greeting sent by the church we'd come from, they no longer wanted to have anything to do with us and we were literally shunned at coffeetime. No one would talk to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the love of Christ.....literally. I am sorry for your experience. It should have never happened.

      I am baffled and heartbroken at the hate that comes from that segment. Idaho is currently the destination for many "christian" families that are tired of putting up with the liberal agenda (whatever that is) in California. I know quite a few families that have headed that way. I don't know that Idaho will be a better place because of it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Things I Have Learned