High and Dry

There is something captivating about the desert in the morning. Today it decided to grace me with a beautiful farewell sunrise. It was fitting as I have made a point of greeting it, nearly everyday, for the last 5 years.


It was a perfect 74° with a light breeze that delivered a longing for my grandmother’s house in Yucca Valley. The smells and textures of her home in the dry landscape are lingering on the edges the wind, calling me to conjure memories that slip from my vision before I can see them clearly. I can still feel them though.

There was freedom, fun, boredom and acceptance at that home. Grandma Ruth had a twinkle in her eye, chain smoked and chewed chicklets gum. She loved gin rummy and kings corners, had a gravely voice and her laugh was a kind of modified / toned down version of Phyllis Dillar’s cackle. I loved it and her. She tanned naked in the desert sun and with her deep, dark tan, her rather wide nose, black hair and somewhat angled features she looked very Native American. To my knowledge she was not.

We left our little home for the last time Monday morning at 4:50 am. I had a number of good cries before hitting “The 5”, which is the interstate highway that runs from the Mexican border up to the Canadian border through California, Oregon and Washington. It was warm and dry and I opened the windows so the dog could do what every dog loves to do. She smiled as the wind push her hair back out of her face and I smiled at her enjoyment. We made a pit stop and that was when the nostalgia for grandma hit. 



The memories made me happy. 

Comments

  1. Oh Linda. I’ve wondered where you are in your journey North. It had to have been tough to leave your home behind. It sounds like your Grandma is helping you along your way though. Take care and safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie. It’s going really well.

      Delete
  2. It's hard. I've been there, making a similar drive and leaving the past and the house and land and so many people behind. But it will be a new life and I know you will make the best of it. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve kept your words in my heart and have faith in the outcome.

      Delete
  3. Sweet memories of your grandma and time in the desert. Love these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's any consolation to you, climate change + virus will put us all on the move. Fires and floods have so far done a lot of destruction in many places.
    To the young ones I say : start practicing mobility and minimalism!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn’t looking for consolation. Nor do I find myself feeling better because others are suffering. My feelings are my own and acceptable and my empathy and activism speak for themselves.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful memories -- I hope you'll be able to say clear from the fires. Your grandma sounded like quite a woman! Leaving the home can be so very hard -- but new adventures are on the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!