Book Club Notes

 As a teenager, life at home was tough. Thoughts of keeping a roof over our heads, food in our stomachs and quieting the air of sadness took precedence over many other things. 

There was a disconnect with school. Starting a new high school, knowing no one was one thing but starting out way behind in my studies because of a bad case of hepatitis A made it that much harder. This girl was unhappy.

All that being said, I'm here to talk about the books and, in particular, East of Eden

All these years I couldn't understand why I had hated freshman, sophomore and junior year english. I hated the reading assignments. I thought the books were appalling and wondered why they were raved about. I finally understand. Good books are often very sad and, truthfully, my sadness cup was overflowing.

But we are just finishing up Steinbeck's East of Eden for our final book club entry and I must say that it is one of the most beautifully written books I have read in my 58 years. I am in awe. 

I would pepper you with quotes but there are too many. Suffice it to say that I repeatedly stopped the BoyScout in his tracks saying, "Wait, wait, read that again please", then, holding my breath, allow the words to waft like feathers, caressing unexpected emotions until they lightly fall to the earth.

The thing is, I have enough joy in my life to be able to see the beauty in the sadness. For that, I am grateful.


Comments

  1. Powerful post, Linda. East of Eden indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this post is beautifully written too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read Steinbeck, but your lovely post makes me think I should! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read that book in years but I've loved Steinbeck over time. He's a wonderful writer. And this post really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post, Linda. And now I'm going to reread East of Eden. And maybe watch the movie, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!