Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

Scruffy, our wirehaired Pointing Griffon, gets a daily trip to the dog park. She's now 2 but is still a puppy when she gets there. She is one of the few dogs that runs for the sheer joy of running, doing crazy eights around us and trying to get other dogs to chase her, she will not stop. She likes to be chased. I get it.....I like my man to chase me. Not actually, as my man does not run, but I like to know that he still figuratively chases me, letting me know it's still me he wants.











On the other hand, Sophie (our sortof French Bulldog) only gets to go every couple of days or so. It's hard on her old body. She usually sleeps the rest the day away and when she gets up she has a hard time walking. Waddling like an immensely heavy old lady. She hurts but it hasn't taken the spark out of her eyes. Not yet.


You may remember that our dogs HATE each other. At first they were buddies, they slept together and spent the days outside with each other, but when Scruffy reached maturity things changed. Their enmity has resulted in some bloody ears, lips and tongues on the dogs and, of course, 4 broken ribs and major surgery to repair them on the Boy Scout. They can't be in the same room and have been known to fight with glass in between them. But at the park, they are best buddies. They play ball. Scruffy is Sophie's protector. But when we get back home it's off into their corners to get ready for the next round. It has gotten a little better than it was at its peak but we must remain on guard.

My sweet girl that loved me through the breakup of my marriage is getting old. I can make her final years as comfy as possible. It's the least I can do.


Comments

  1. The dogs must regard the park as "neutral territory" so they can be friends there. But at home, "territoriality" and its related power dynamics rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, you and the boy scout and the puppies. cute pix.

    a few of my blog friends have older furkids who are slowing down: john gray, jennifer, fearsome beard. we love them until we have to let them go, and then we still love them in our hearts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this. Sophie and Scruffy are adorable. I wonder why they only get along at the dog park. That's so funny. That is one big dog in Boy Scouts lap! My old girl doesn't have a lot of time so we spoil her a bit more than normal because of it. I hope you get more time than you think. Nothing beats a fur baby who gets your through the tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, we take care of our dear ones, especially when they are older. How odd about the dog park -- that IS funny. I know they have a lot of love from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!