Is It You?

Happy 4th to my co-Americans. Happy Saturday to the rest of you♥

I've been developing a friendship with a gent from my ACA meetings. We went on a hike the other day and while I enjoy myself thoroughly, he, at times, gets way too new age for my brain to comprehend. That's ok. I can either focus on those moments where I feel like I need a doctorate in philosophy, physics and ancient Chinese culture in order to understand what he is saying or I can focus on the nuggets of gold threaded into the foreign language that he occasionally speaks.

The other day's hike was spectacular, with some water and amazing views. On this incredibly clear day, we were overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the cities of Santa Barbara, Montecito and Carpinteria.

One of the nuggets of gold my friend supplied was an affirmation that I have started to use when my brain is telling me to be unhappy about something. THAT'S NOT ME. I can focus on the one shitty driver or the hundreds of other cars around minding their business and being courteous. If my thoughts go somewhere negative, I can redirect and remind myself that I am here to be joyful. I get to choose. So when the brain starts down an unhappy path....THAT'S NOT ME will be my response whenever possible.

It's a practice.

Comments

  1. Don’t you love those times when the universe puts special people in your path?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you to find a friend like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being joyful is very important. Your hike sounded great, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such a hard time rewiring my brain. I try and try and try. I guess trying is better than not trying though. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! There have been times I’ve felt like giving up but once in a while I see progress.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to tell Rick the story of focusing on one shitty driver or the many good ones. Maybe it will change the tone of our car rides! Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Things I Have Learned