A Fork In The Road

We've been discussing a vacation, possibly next summer. The theme, for the most part, has been Italy. I have never been and the Boy Scout is eager to share it with me. 

BUT......and it is a big but.....we just got news that son #2 may be spending a couple of years in Scotland. Now, I don't get to see any of my kids enough (even the one that lives at home), but the idea of flying 12 hours to spend time in a beautiful European country but not see my kid that is only a couple of hours away, seems ludicrous.

Luckily, the Boy Scout shifts gears easily. He has gone from flying into Milan to see The Last Supper, spending days in Venice etc etc. to flying into Edinburgh, golfing at such and such, seeing this castle, going to that pub. His seque was flawless.

I, on the other hand, don't start to dream until the event is decided for sure. The money, the dogs, my work, not wanting to be disappointed, all weigh heavy on me. Not to mention that I  have seen very little of this world. That fact makes it hard to cement any decision. So hard to choose.  I have to psych myself up for it all.  

My son and his partner may end up in England (Boy Scout all ready with contingencies) since she has not heard back from all the schools she has applied. Apparently, his partner can get her graduate degree far cheaper in the UK than in America, even factoring in the expense of picking up and moving. My son may even be able to keep his Portland based job while there. 

Truthfully, Italy pulls at my heart a bit stronger but only because this ole gal really doesn't like to be cold. And don't forget, being born and bred in Southern California, cold to me means ANYTHING under 68 degrees (20C). I prefer a nice steady 85 (29C) with a light breeze.
 So I get this
or
Cold Scotland
This

I know, I know.....I am exaggerating. It would be summer but, just the same, I am acclimated to a pretty toasty climate. My body loves the warmth.

We shall see. Who knows where we will end up with the world the way it is. 

All I really have is today.

Comments

  1. Cant you do a little bit of both? I would. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything is possible I suppose. Maybe I'll have so many miles by that time that we will afford both with no problem.

      Delete
  2. your last sentence is TRUTH!

    it's 85F here today. go with the flow about next year; nothing is set in stone and who knows if we will be over the virus by then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds exciting! Wherever and whenever you go, things will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh can I sneak into your bag? These are 2 on my bucket list. Scotland is cold and damp in the summer too so bring warm clothes.It's like the UK only a tad bit cooler I am told by my friends from Scotland. If I had to chose only 1 I'd go for Italy.
    But if my son were in Scotland I'd have to go there. I'd eat in Italy and while in Scotland you'll lose the weight. Not exactly known for good food unless of course you like hagas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. Wherever you choose to go will be lovely. Maybe your son could meet you in Itsly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you'll be able to wear scarves and turtlenecks for a short time. That will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More and more appreciating those scarfs as my neck resembles something rather BOHO.....loose and drapey.

      Delete
  7. Either would be a great trip! Italy in the summer can be hellishly hot though, depending on where you go (like 40+C hot). We made sure to go there in October when it was a more manageable 20-25C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Either one would be lovely to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda, I live in central Scotland. I can tell you it's 14°C here today and I have socks and long trousers on... and I'm a local! You and your dear partner should join a Facebook group called Scotland from the Roadside to see great photography of this beautiful country. Wherever you end up seeing your son, it's lovely to see the land.

    By the way, like you I have substantial hearing loss. Most sensorineural from birth, but now age related has joined in. And tinnitus! Most of the time I can ignore it. I have Phonak Marvel hearing aids. Worth every penny. Hearing fatigue is not understood by hearing people! Sending hugs. Haggis can be really delicious, by the way. And the food has improved a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moran. I was being pissy pants. I would love to see Scotland and I would love to golf it too.

      I have the same hearing aids. Love how they work with my phone.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!