All In A Days Work

I've been hard at work at not working.

At 16, I started working full time. It is strange and foreign to be without the thing that has been a source of my security and self worth. Nevermind that my worth should not come from my job; it just is what it is.

My family (my mom, my brother and me) was in financial dire straits when I left school at 16. Somehow, I got a job at Security Pacific Bank. Thinking back it such a surprise that a big corporation would hire a minor for a regular full time job. My mom never signed a waiver. I worked on the 14th floor of the Glendale CA building in the payroll processing center. My job was to process the purchase of US Savings Bonds through the service's automatic deductions. Honestly, I felt like I was a kid pretending to be an adult. Honestly, I was.

From there, I went to downtown Los Angeles to work for a print shop, moved to Ventura and, tired of the corporate world, I tried my hand at dog grooming, sold Ethan Allen furniture and then finally, at 21, was hired by a family that changed the direction of my career and life.

Recently, like so many, my current contract was put on hold. The old me would have freaked out COMPLETELY, which is not to say I haven't worried a bit, but, for the most part, I've had a lot of peace. All the years of being pretty responsible with my income, living fairly frugally, mean that I have minimal debt and my modest little house and its manageable payment would be affordable if I had to get a job at Starbucks or something like that. I have no delusions that, at 56, I could replace the income I have had for the past 10 years. Ageism is alive and well.

It's ok. Life is ok. I am learning to be present and enjoy where I am at the moment instead of worrying about what might happen in the future. Who knew? My worth comes from within me and how I relate to the world around me.

I think I'll go for a walk.


Comments

  1. Linda, I am grateful that you are OK. This will evolve once we get back to work. I don't want us back to work as a whole till we know it will be safe but I hope those who can will be able to soon. Meanwhile, you are doing the wise thing -- being present. We all are aware of mortality in a different way when we see so much around us. To celebrate every moment and try to steer clear of the future is indeed wise. It warms me to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're doing well with all of this -- that's great! Being debt-free is a blessing too in this world where most people are up to their eyeballs in it and one paycheque away from disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. I am aware I am the exception and not because I worked any harder than the next guy.

      Delete
  3. be safe and secure and drink in the beauty of the ocean, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words spoken by a wise woman. Glad you are doing good, Linda!
    Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Linda. So many people are frantic now for a variety of reasons, including finances. Well done! I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this. It is such a confusing time, we are full of potential and possibility but on hold.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear