The Strength Within

We recently finished an old book titled The Power of One. It was a lovely book that, in the beginning, I expected to not like. I asked the Boy Scout, “Is this a boxing book?”, with a feeling disgruntlement. He looked at me incredulously, like I had highly insulted him, and shook his head. And then we began.

I loved it. There was boxing woven in but the story was rich and beautiful. One part that touched me, though there were many, was at the point where he loses a close friend that chose his time and way of death. As the protagonist questions why his friend chose to die without him, he says....

But secretly I knew I couldn’t have done it. I would have clung to the last thread of life in him. I also knew that he would have known this. But it didn’t help the numbness. It didn’t take away the need, the dull permanent ache under my heart on the exact spot where you work on another boxer till he runs out of steam.  That was it precisely: the bell had gone, but I couldn’t find the strength and the will to come out for the next round on my own.

The boxing analogy worked perfectly even though I never boxed a day in my life. Most of us, at one point or another, have heard the bell and wondered where the strength to move forward would come from. But humans are more resilient than they ever know and, somehow, we find it, even when we often can't see it in ourselves. 

Comments

  1. Oh so true. We surprise ourselves sometimes with our strength when needed. This time is one of those I fear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1989 I heard the bell ring. and I began to live my "second life", putting my first 35 years behind me.

    31 years later, I am still here and stronger for it. has it been an easy 31 years? no. but I kicked its ass when troubles appeared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you could write a book. I’d love to hear the story

      Delete
  3. Interesting! Sometimes wisdom is found where we least expect it, like in boxing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have the strenght built in to us and in times like these it comes out.
    Take care and stay safe, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds very interesting. And boy, do we ever need the strength these days. Stay well, Linda.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!