Push It Away

 What scares us about being sad?

You know what I mean. It comes from the most unexpected places. It lurks in the corners of the mind. It's like an ominous shadow, without a place of origin, without the knowing of where it begins.


Do you run from it? I often do. I've said before that I frequently get that feeling when entering a hardware store (of all places). There are times I just leave without accomplishing my task. I abandon my quest for relief.

But sadness is just a feeling. And to feel it is just human. It has no power. I want to learn to accept sadness without judgement, feeling it fully and allowing it to subside on its own. There are emotions that feel uncomfortable to sit with, but sit with we must do.

Observing the feelings seems like a start. Examining where it sits in the body, how the body wants to remove it. Taking away some of its power to influence action.

Otherwise, I may go shopping, buy some chocolate or anything else the will push those feelings down.

How do you feel and what do you do with it?

Comments

  1. When I am anxious, I clean the house. It’s better than eating my way through the anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family all knows that when I am cleaning like a crazy woman, something is amiss. Nothing like physical activity to ease the wound up energy and dull the mind.

      Delete
  2. When something is bothering me, I go for a walk and it usually helps me to sort it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprising. The scenery in and around Killybegs would cheer anyone up.

      Delete
  3. I knit or I take a "mental health" day from work and just exist in a quiet space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have your self care down pretty darn good.

      Delete
  4. I can tell you this - as a lifelong naturalist I immerse myself in the natural world and then I am at peace with myself. Nature is not always benign - not all hummingbirds and little ducklings - but it always is elemental and fulfilling. A simple walk through the woods can be a cure for all that ails you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might give it a try next time.

      Delete
    2. I never thought about it always being elemental... and that is probably the very reason it brings a Peace beyond all understanding!

      Delete
  5. I guess I'm scared of being sad because I'm afraid it will never go away. And it will lead to a panic attack. I do diaphragmatic breathing when I'm feeling overly sad or anxious. It really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true for me too. I think it might just make its home there and never leave.

      Delete
  6. I SO Remember That Old Datsun B210. They Were Commonly Black Out In California But Still, What A Gem.

    Sadness Springs Up All Around Us. For Me, I Try My Best To Free My Mind And Allow My Bike To Follow. Sometimes, I AM Able To Remind Myself That My Thought Are Just That, Thoughts. Its Tough Remaining Present.

    Stay Strong,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often feel sad. For me the best antidote is to go for a long walk and look for beauty out there. I'm always surprised by how a bird, a flower, a butterfly, a blue-sky day with iridescent clouds can lift my spirits in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good question. When I'm sad, sometimes I write and try to write it out. Sometimes paint. Sometimes a funny movie or a musical I love. And sometimes, I just let it be sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sitting with Sadness or Depression is difficult and so I tend to want to just sleep it off... or do something pleasurable to negate it. This is probably not Helpful... sitting with something, even if it's uncomfortable, is probably a better way to embrace every emotion, even the ones we find most painful and unpleasant or negative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!