What Are You Looking For?

Aca (Adult Children of Alcoholics) talks a lot about recreating childhood chaos. I’ve always known that as the “at home feeling”. It says that many of us are ill-at-ease with the peace that might become a part of our lives and that we subconsciously will find ways to recreate our “at home feeling”.

I hate the idea, and yet, I’m pretty sure I do it on occasion. Life can be going fairly smoothly and my brain will tell me there’s something wrong and that it needs to be fixed. It’s a pretty nasty piece of work made worse by the fact that I am completely unaware that it’s happening.

Luckily, I have a program and support, some tools and my higher power to help me in the process of changing. I want peace to prevail even if my brain is still searching out the chaos of my parental home. 

Comments

  1. That's the value of ACA -- it shows us the patterns that otherwise would remain unconscious but oh so destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very insightful. Working on ourselves is an never ending process I think. Because if you aren't evolving what is the point of our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a hard thing to overcome. I have acted like my mother, all that passive-aggressive stuff (minus the drink and the drugs) so often, I should know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s a work in progress like so many things in our lives, Linda. Everyone has something...me, I need to stop trying to fix things for people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like that sometimes too. My dad wasn't an alcoholic but he was an angry control freak, probably because of his mum's alcoholism. I find peaceful strange. I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Don't Be A Bob

Let's Be Perfectly Clear