HuH? Whaaa?

As my world gets quieter, the people around me are affected almost as much as I am.

Sometimes it is hard for me to know if I have turned something up too loud. Sometimes I know it is too loud but I am unable to make out what is being said for lack of clarity. Upping the volume can often help in that situation.

Today, a person in my office building came over and pounded loudly on my door (and I heard it). He said that he was frustrated at having to listen to whatever is playing in my office. Unfortunately, I frequently have something playing as it seems lessens the intensity of the tinnitus. I apologized and was going to explain and realized he just didn't want to hear it. "I'll be more careful", I said. He huffed.

I get it, I look perfectly normal. No one would suspect that I am somewhat handicapped, disabled, other abled....however you want to say it, I don't look it. Be that as it may, I am more and more becoming unable to hear. And yet, my body, brain and soul still wants to be stimulated by sound as much as the next guy. Words, music, traffic, birds, running water....my brain still craves what life has to offer audibly.

I need to find some balance. For my own sake as well as those around me. 

Comments

  1. that guy was fucking rude; he didn't even take the time to listen to your response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always used external headphones when listening to music in the office. Would that work with tinnitus or just make it worse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The headphones might be an option.

    It must be scary for you to go through, Linda. Dealing with others as well as your own feelings too must be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it’s been happening since I was 30. I’ve had a lot of time to get used to it. Occasionally it bites but most of the time I do pretty ok.

      Delete
  4. Linda, do you recall the bone inducing "head" phones I mentioned in my blog? Would those work for you? Yes, they are a bit expensive. I got mine on QVC and basically half price because it was the first time on there. But these are working for my cousin who is losing her hearing. She does wear a hearing aid so these not going in her ears have been miraculous to her. Would they work for you? Here is a link. https://aftershokz.com/collections/all/products/trekz-titanium This way you hear it all loud and clear and you also can hear what is going on around you - at least as much as you do now. Just a thought. I'm sorry you are going through this.:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m going to take a look. Thanks Peg💜

      Delete
  5. I understand completely. I have tinnitus as well and I have to have external noise to keep me from going nutsy with the tinnitus. Once I asked Rick if he could hear the noises inside my head, they seemed so loud. I hope you shared with your colleague about your hearing. It may help him understand next time someone-- not even you -- does something; that things can be unseen but critical.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear