Time To Say Good Bye

Due to the changes in my work situation my youngest had to procure her own health insurance. The $942.00 per month only covers me and only that when I've first forked over $3,500.00. Therefore, since my girl is still a student and considered one of the working poor, she applied for Medi-Cal.

We got all the paperwork together, made copies of the proper documentation, stuck it all in an envelope and did a drive by of the local post office. The box is on the street so she rolled the window down and plopped the envelope in the box. She proceeded to turn to me and say, "That's the first letter I ever mailed." It may be one of the few she mails in her lifetime. Even being in business, I utilize the USPS very infrequently.

It's a different world.....no green stamps, slide rules, milk bottles on the front porch, floppy discs, TV stations signing off, developing film, packed cd cases, pagers or Rand McNally.

For the oldies still holding on.....GPS, iPhone cameras, TV for insomniacs and massive amounts of music on my phone are all the bomb. The rest of that stuff....buh bye Felicia.















Comments

  1. Funny to think your daughter never mailed anything before. Not even for college?
    Speaking of...what is medi-cal. Only for college students? I may have to go back to school.

    Oh how I loved to lick those green stamps for my mom and put them in the book! The dream book as she called it. Sadly I love all these outdated things except the answering machine and the video games. Too old to have had anything more than pong and pac-man. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother used to do the S&H Green stamps. I remember those books, so many stamps and you could get something from their catalog. Times are changing and changing fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much has changed. It is a new world for sure. I saw a story about two young men who didn’t know how to use a rotary dial phone. I am old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the green stamps...and the table settings you got at food stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mixed tape, real and raunchy!

    I never made a mixed tape. We didn't listen to music much in our household. Not my parent's thing, plus they were a lot older so their music was not current.

    I used to dream about rotary phones. Then when touch phones came into vogue, I dreamt about them. Now I dream about cell phones. Nice to see my dreams keeping up with the times. I think the dream is about my inability to communicate. Or maybe my brain is just fixated on phones. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is really curious. I wonder what dream readers would make of that?

      Delete
  6. Oh, Green Stamps! There was the green stamp store and we always got them at the market! What a delightful post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!