A Little Dip

I was a fairly controlling mom. I was cautious and careful, especially when the kids were very young. I wasn't the freewheeling "it'll all work out" kind of gal, although there is something to be said for that woman.

When I was 33ish, we were at my mom's house playing in the complex pool. It was crowded, as my mom lived in a town called Santa Clarita, well known for getting pretty damn hot in the summer. I had my littlest in the pool in my arms (I started them young). My mom, my sister Sal and my other three kids were hanging by the stairs. 

We were having a great time, talking, laughing.... good times with family.

At some point I looked over to see Scotty, my 3 year old, trying to tread water, unable to get his head to break the surface. I yelled and started towards him. My mom or Sal scooped him up. I remember him sputtering with his big eyes open so wide in shock of it all. He was a confident little swimmer. I had started them all with lessons as infants. It wasn't that we weren't watching....it was that it was COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY silent. Not a peep, not really a splash. I don't know that I would have known it was going on even if he and I were the only two people in the pool.

This kid, who loves water, has absolutely no memory of the incident. I, on the other hand, have it imprinted on my brain. I could see his panicked face under water trying to get it up...and I always will.

Comments

  1. What a scary incident. It only takes a second for everything to change, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary scary! I think about that constantly at the lake! We will not let the kids swim without an adult at the lakeside and normally I will just take a float in and play along. Scares me to death to think about someone not being able to alert others to them being in danger! Thanks for sharing this - it only takes a few seconds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is scary and illustrates how fast a situation can change and something you would never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life can change in an instant. Adults make noise when they are drowning but people have to take it seriously when they see the signs. When they are drowning, people don’t always have the breath to shout help.

    How blessed you were to see and rescue your little sweetie in trouble in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a scary incident! Oh my gosh, thank goodness everything turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart would have been in my throat. I'm so grateful all ended up well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading this released a string of memories - all those near misses and almost disastrous endings while raising children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!