Next Time.

The other day, while standing near the door inside the super market, a gent came out of the bathroom, headed to his personal cart and started heading out of the market. He made a quick stop by the ready made display of sandwiches and salads, glanced for a bit, and then continued on his way.

My heart told me to stop him. My concience said feed the man but my fears kept me from chasing after him. I’ve always been afraid of the homeless, especially the mentally ill. It frightens me that they may react poorly to my efforts, they are unpredictable and, therefore, a threat.

Lucky for me I had an answer. My Boy Scout has no such qualms and when I made my request, he beamed from ear to ear. He grabbed the sandwich, chips and potatoe salad, ran through the register and chased after our guy. He came back 5 minutes later with a defeated look and said the guy gave him the slip.

I wondered if our gent had peeked into the pharmacy or the goodwill store and, undaunted, the man ran back out. Now, when I say ran, you must understand that my man doesn’t run easy. He’s a big guy, with two fairly new knees and the effect of decades of living in tremendous pain from being hit by a drunk driver at the age of 24. He was lucky to survive. Despite that, he tracked our guy down, gave him lunch and wished him a good day. Our gent asked him if he had bought this for himself and the Boy Scout shook his head and said, “No, we got it for you”.

I wish I had that confidence. Maybe I’ll start small and build the resilience to follow my heart, become more brave over time. Meanwhile, I’ve got a good partner in crime. 

Comments

  1. OMB, the boy scout! that is horrible to have happened to a young man!

    you and boy scout paid it forward yesterday. that is more than donald dump and his dumplings would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel bad for that young man that was sentenced to a pain filled life by a 16 year old girl who never remembered what she did to him.

      Delete
  2. I feel foolish that I am a bit confused by this post and how this went down. I've read that paragraph 3x and I am apparently one of those mentally ill you refer to. Bottom line, you bought a man who needed food and he got to enjoy it. You both did a good deed! Every time I have done this has been a wonderful experience and I have never felt scared, threatened or fearful. Most I have met are not mentally ill, just down on their luck. And if you ask they will tell you their stories. (I have done that too) You do have a good partner in crime!! I find every time I do a good deed I get more from it than those I am thinking I'm doing the deed for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t feel foolish. This is really about the fact that I have a lot of fears of being out of control. I have had a few encounters, when I was young, that cemented those fears in regards to the homeless. I know logically that it’s ok but my gut or soul or something deep within me screams it’s not. It’s really about my desire to conquer those feelings.

      Delete
    2. Linda you are so strong to address these fears and try to combat them. I admire you! I have some I have not been able to conquer and honestly don't know that i want to. How bad is that? Not much time left for me so I should get crackin'

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you helped someone else! No matter how you got it done - you got it done! Thank you!!!! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Team work accomplishs great things. Well done, Linda and the Boy Scout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good and brave man -- and well done, you, for spotting him and thinking about him, sharing the thought. Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear