What Road Will You Take

It can be difficult to be vulnerable in a room of strangers, until you realize that the bulk of them are present for the same reason....to ease the pain and find a better way to live. ACoA (Adult Children of Alcoholics) has been a godsend to me. Based on the adapted 12 steps of AA, it is designed to help individuals recover from the effects of growing up in dysfunctional households.

Dysfunction is an overused word these days but to discount it entirely is a mistake. We are all a product of imperfect people, some mildly and others horrifically. I find that many of the attendees are not children of alcoholics but children of violent, ill adaptive people that did not teach tools for living because they simply didn't have them.

ACoA's focus is to learn to love oneself and allowing that self love to help one to navigate life. We learn to make choices, not out of fear of abandonment or lack of approval, but with peace, valuing yourself and your needs and not allowing others to put you in a place that is not good for you. It is not selfish, it is wholehearted.

I'm glad I've found it. Like Frost, I took this road less traveled and it has made all the difference.

Comments

  1. ACoA is a wonderful organization and helps many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agee with Marie and I like the message at the end. You can't let others dictate your self worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful you found an organization that inspires and helps you to move through your life in a way of grace. I have a feeling that there a lot of people who could benefit from the lessons taught there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. everyone needs a support group, whether it be ACoA, or AA, or friends, or a psychologist (my fave). and there ain't NOTHING wrong with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Things I Have Learned