What is Your Symphony

More and more, I find myself buying less. Not as many housewares, clothing, landscape items, etc. My needs are simplifying and I like it a lot. I do still eat out quite a bit but it is often a time of connection with friends and family. I like the idea of minimizing. I like the idea of a pretty basic wardrobe and not having to have it take a lot of my energy. Things have never once filled my emptiness for more than a few hours. 

Additionally, I like the idea of spending less time on things and more time being present with people and being grateful for what is around me. 


WORD FOR THE DAY

To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion....In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common. This is to be my symphony.
WILLIAM HENRY CHANNING

Comments

  1. spouse and I spend money on nice meals out. as you age, you don't need crap; you are trying to get rid of crap. if I spend money on anything, it's yarn to make sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spend too much money on books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's true, generally speaking, that people spend less money on consumer items as they age. That's why we are not advertisers' key demographic like the 18-34 bunch, who are still in the process of buying everything you need to make a life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe haven’t gleaned the wisdom that took me 55 years the gleam.

      Delete
  4. I look at stuff to buy and there's often this sebse of relief that I don't need that anymore. It's nothing to do with getting old rather a sense that I am over it, that it really is not worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I have found the same thing. I can go mo ths without buying anything for myselfor the house. Groceries are my main purchase and I ake an effort not to waste food, not always successfully.

    Myhusband is not at that place yet and he is still buying “stuff.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I more or less stopped buying clothes when I stopped working -- the occasional new jeans or sweater or top, but nothing like before. And trying to purge things. But don't get me near a book or art store. All my resolve disappears!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here, Linda. Simplifying seems more and more appealing as I get older. We have downsized and gotten rid of a lot of things, and I'm in the process of putting together another big batch of donations. Having less seems so...liberating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear