Paris Worship

Today we attended a church service at Saint Eustache in the 1st arrondissement of Paris. 

The church has wonderful French gothic architecture and gorgeous windows. It’s current form was built between 1532 and 1632. The Inside artwork is stunning but darkened by years of being on a busy street as well as candle and incense burning. 

Inside this massive church there are towering arches overhead with rays of sunlight coming from every direction. The choir is singing and though they are few considering the size of the church, their voices fill it well. The congregation, which is not over 150, are dwarfed by the sheer size of the place. I’m watching some parishioners on their knees on the solid, cold marble floor and wonder how hard it will be for some to rise. Interesting to watch an older women stand at an immense pillar with her forehead against it as if in penance.  Don’t know if that is a common occurrence or not. 

As the priest spoke, in French of course, I could make out only a few words. Between my lack of hearing and an echoing coming off all the walls I caught regard (look) and canard (duck)....which he probably did not even say.  So my advanced 2 year old child French did me no good at all. 

The ups and downs are here just as home.  Also here are the handful of people who slip out before the very end of the service. Skipping the priestly handshake and adieu.  Most parishioners left far before the organist finished the final piece of music, which happened to be quite lovely. 

I thought of my walk with my God and felt content with it. The God of “my understanding” doesn’t look at all like this but to each his own. 

Ps. I’m conflicted by this religion that has been around for so many centuries. There are people I love dearly who find solace and connection and comfort in their worship within this religion so wrapped in controversy. I am neither a catholic or a recovering catholic so I have no place to take a stance except to say that there is an absolute need to rectify a horrific problem that exists within their walls and a necessity make amends and ease the pain it has inflicted on so many. 


Comments

  1. RAMEN! ex-catholic here; left in 1977. can't stand the lies, the abuse the RCC has perpetuated since the 1960s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand my friend. Glad you have found your piece of peace. And SO glad that the church no longer runs the world.

      Delete
  2. Ex here too. Well said! Where are the women in that church and many issues related to women? Reform is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of religion but I do love old churches, the history, the quiet, the sense of peace I get there.

    And you're in Paris! How fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great that you included the video to give us a sense of the place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is great beauty and truth in Catholicism. In the early 1960's the majority of white civil rights allies were Jewish or Catholic. In my opinion, the wrongs in the Church could be righted if they 1. Allowed priests to marry, 2. allowed women to be priests, and 3. stopped politicizing the abortion issue - it's a person choice and should not be a rallying cry for those who would do away with the separation of church and state.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It’s huge. I wonder how they manage to stay open with so few parishioners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I I think we were the 3rd of three services. Perhaps the others were packed. Not too sure.

      Delete
  7. Looks like an amazing place. It's HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ex catholic here, now I am Lutheran. The only difference I can see between the two is that Lutherans don't revere the Virgin Mary and our pastors can be married. But everybody still believes that women shouldn't preach and that Mary Magdalene was a whore. She wasn't and I hate that that lie, perpetuated by the catholic church, still exists today. There is too much misogyny in organized religion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post and yes, I agree about religion. Pretty much a lot of them these days. The service sounds interesting and a beautiful place. I would stay for the organ too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All religion needs to go back to the original word in order to lead in the light. The old churches were surely build with love, they are so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear