Had It All

Hey Dad,

I was out working on the back patio listening Pandora (which I think you would like) when they played it. That song. How it brings back memories. I see you right now, wearing pressed jeans, one of those mock turtlenecks that was so popular back then. You are lean and tall, so very handsome, with just a trace of that belly that suggests that your diet is quite high in that very specific sugar that you have grown to love and need more and more. I didnt know about that then. I just see you, happy and probably tipsy. I see mom smiling at you, her long dark hair.....I still don’t know how she got it to be so puffy on top. She called it ratting but I never got the hang of it. How that woman loved you. How she needed you, but you couldn’t be that person.

We are all so broken pop, doing and saying things we wish we had or did not. I hope you are at peace now. Your choices left much to be desired for us as a family at the time but each of us, except for John, are doing ok.

I hope you are dancing as we hear this song together. You did a great funky chicken.


Comments

  1. Poignant and well written, Linda. Love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears. Fabulous post in honor of your dad. Was just going through some old photos and found some of my dad. I found myself wishing that he had been like the other dads, but he was an alcoholic. It wasn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too. I wanted a daddy but he wasn’t able. Mine eventually got sober and we became friends.

      Delete
  3. Ah, memories. They can be sweet but sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember ratting or backcombing. Thank goodness it eventually went out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tribute to your father. Although your dad doesn't sound that old to be gone if he like that song. I love that song. But then I am 62 and am old. :-) I also remember ratting ones hair. But then the 70's were just long and straight and no one had to anymore - whew. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was 1971 which makes me 8. He was a 36 year old man with a pack of kids, a career that tested his strength and moral system and a bad drinking habit. But he got over it eventually and I grew to love him differently.

      Delete
  6. The memories we gather over time, some good, some not, it means you've lived, much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. Good and bad....it is mine. ♥

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful and touching post, Linda.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!