Kiss The Cook

Someone somewhere along the way told my Boy Scout he couldn't sing. How dare someone shame a person from doing something so very basic to human pleasure. I don't sing well but that will never stop me from doing it at the top of my lungs if I so desire. Tuesdays With Morrie cemented that belief that I once held timidly.

Yesterday the Boy Scout was in the kitchen, happily cooking away, trying a new recipe and listening to the Mark Knopfler station on Pandora. Suddenly a song comes on and he turns and starts singing. It's a hauntingly beautiful song or maybe I just think that now because of what it means to me (or more importantly him). He has a deep beautiful speaking voice and, often times, he kinda speaks with a song rather an fully singing. I love it but probably due to the fact that music moves his heart so profoundly. The first time he sang this song to me, he did so with tears rolling down his cheeks.

Make Me An Angel with Bonnie Raitt and John Prine
















The lyrics are infused with a deep loneliness.....which is something he felt many, many nights in the last 30 years. I understand that deep loneliness, one that baffles that spirit because you have a partner beside you. How can one feel so alone when they are not?

No more! We have our ups and downs but loneliness is not a factor in it (at least not for me). Yesterday, when he sang the words;

There's flies in the kitchen I can hear 'em there buzzing
And I ain't done nothing since I woke up today.
How the hell can a person go to work in the morning
And come home in the evening and have nothing to say.

Make me an angel that flies from Montgom'ry
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go

there were no tears. I'm glad of that but I can handle his tears.

Comments

  1. I sing aloud also; if people don't like it, they don't have to listen. I ain't opera material, but some people have told me I have a nice voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I'm so happy you and your Boy Scout found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lost. But that is okay I think if I just keep reading I will figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Boy Scout is a new addition to me and I to him. We both had very long, lonely marriages.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad that you found each other! I hope you two are never lonely together and always happy!!!

      Delete
  4. How fortunate you found each other, Linda! Sing loud and proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, just belt it out at the top of your lungs, that's my philosophy of singing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tuesdays With Morrie...what a great read; filled with words of wisdom. And so many good lessons in it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Things I Have Learned