Happy or Angry?

Do you want to be angry or do you want to be happy. The two cannot go hand in hand but both are a choice. 

Are you pissed off sitting in traffic? You have a choice. Are you mad at someone being inconsiderate? That's a choice too. Learning to respond instead of react is helpful but much harder than it sounds, especially if that has been a default for most of your life. My default at even small conflicts has been to fight or run away for as long as I can remember. That was all I knew. 

There are so many good reasons to control anger. Yes, it is an obstacle to happiness, but also damages relationships, loses jobs, can result in people or property getting hurt and, in the end, anger will hurt you too. Taking a breath, a time out or whatever you need to stop the initial reaction and allow your thoughts to follow things through to the end. What exactly to do you want the outcome to be? Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy? Do you want to shame someone else to ease your own pain or do you want to be content? 

All the years, I had no idea I could choose. Crazy right?  I simply reacted to an action of another person, taking it personally. I never realized that my personal go-to was to be angry. I may still go there for awhile but I try, very hard, not to stay there very long.

Hoping you are taking a deep breath today. Do it! Close your eyes, breath in deep then continue with a beautiful day. It’s your decision.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!