A Positive Foundation

Hello, I'm Linda and I am an alcoholic.  Well, no I'm not but I have listened to so many YouTube "We Do Recover" videos that I have the urge to say that on occasion. 

Those recovery videos, along with my Al-Anon meetings have changed the way I think about the alcoholics / addicts in my life. They have changed the way I think and feel about the homeless man screaming as he walks along the street, the gal who waits at the bus stop but never boards the bus, the teen on the street who looks angry and man who makes it to work every day but numbs himself to the hilt after he gets home. Building a foundation of empathy with good, healthy boundaries is such an amazing blessing. 

Don't get me wrong, I still have a healthy dose of fear because of the unpredictability of the addict/alcoholic. I like to know exactly what to expect in any given situation...I didn't know that about myself before but it's true. It doesn't have to involve my qualifiers, it can be most anything. Not knowing sends me into a small panic. What will happen? How will I handle it? Do I have options? Are there other people out there like me??  I think there are a lot of them.

Still learning about myself and with that knowledge I intend to do better each day. By having empathy for those who suffer, by facing my fears and understanding that I will be OK, by understand boundaries and implementing them in a way that is calm and firm. 


Still moving forward on my road to positive thinking and happiness, are you?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Things I Have Learned