A Change of Direction is Good

Loving life these days.

Working my program and feeling fairly calm and peaceful. The relationship with my Boy Scout keeps moving forward in a special way and my relationship with the Secret Keeper has taken a new, softer path.

The Boy Scout continues to challenge me to communicate better, fight fairly and rebuild trust. Additionally, in a unique way all his own, he challenges my need to make everyone around me behave in a certain way so that I can feel safe. I have learned to keep my mouth shut on occasion....what a novel idea! The black and white has turned a little grayer.

The Secret Keeper continues to teach me about forgiveness, empathy and the reconstruction of relationships. As he tries to rebuild a life for himself while battling a pretty severe mental illness, I learn to not take offense when feeling manipulated and, with some ease, love the man that still desires to be a good dad. Sometimes, if I feel that heavy weight on my chest that makes it hard to breath, I can remember that sympathy and empathy are two very different things. I can attempt to walk in his shoes for a few minutes and then think about how my words or actions can ease the hard journey he is on.
 
How lucky can a lady be to come across two special men who love her even with all her many flaws and fears.

If I go back to my first few blog posts, I would say that I have traveled far further than I ever thought possible in just 1 year and 9 months. One thing that I have learned is that Grateful is a way of life and I've found nothing else that works better for me. Friends from Al-Anon have helped in a wonderful way as we all come together, broken and shattered, angry and resentful...and try to help each other find a more appropriate, healthier path.  

Despite that fact that I know I will always need to work at it, a change to my very core has taken place...how many people can say that?  GRATEFUL INDEED.

Comments

  1. Don't you wish more people would/could/should find their way to Alanon?? It's truly a life saving group.. Love the whole tone of this post. Yes to the gratitude and gratefullness. It makes life so much easier or better or maybe like you said...softer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Things I Have Learned