A Lesson in Open Mindedness


I have mentioned before that golf has become a part of my life. But did I mention that I went into it begrudgingly? Perhaps contemptuously? After all, what kind of sport can you play where you really don't get any meaningful exercise? And honestly, isn't it mainly just a way for upper income white men to do whatever it is they do on the course?  Truthfully, I haven't played yet where I felt I got any kind of work out. And, yes, often the gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) playing behave poorly (Hellooooo, my name is not honey!!). 


What I have found though, is a camaraderie with a group of ladies that is as every bit delightful as it was unexpected, a game of strategy and mental acuity, a wonderful way to spend 3 or 4 hours in a beautiful setting and, finally, a sweet way for my Boy Scout and me to have a common interest.


Weekly lessons and as much practice as I can fit in have brought my game to a level that I can, for the most part, avoid embarrassment and keep the ball moving forward without enraging the group of 4 following behind me. I'm super happy with that!! If there is one thing I have learned about this game is that it is not as easy as it looks. 


So....biggest drawbacks: the few entitled, aggressive, rather unattractive men that clearly forgot the manners that their mamma's taught them when they were young, blisters on the left hand (assuming you play right handed) and the cost. Golfing is not cheap! Clubs, equipment and lessons are expensive.  It helps if you play later in the day but it is usually more than $40.00 and a round of golf at Pebble Beach is in excess of $500.00. Crazy! Not for the faint of pocketbook.


As an almost empty nester, I am lucky enough to be able to afford this new hobby of mine. One bright-side of the kids growing up and branching out is the extra cash in the bank. Finding more ways to be grateful....one swing at a time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Things I Have Learned