Sweet Nothings

For the hard of hearing, sweet nothings are really that, nothing

When having an intimate moment, whether in a restaurant or quiet room, whispering is completely lost on me. I can look deeply into your "mouth" and hope to get it, or if the lights or low, I can try to guess at it by filling in what I don't hear by grabbing onto a few audible words, but that fact of the matter is, I'm concentrating on listening more than what is being said.

Huh? What'd ya say? One more time please.

I've always been amazed at the patience my kids have exhibited with my hearing loss. Not only have they've had tremendous patience but often times, while in public, they would listen and help me with comprehension when I was at a loss for what was being said. Not treating me like an imbecile but aiding when needed. They've been great!! When I signed up for Match.com, I had some big concerns about entering the dating world and being vulnerable about my inability to hear: noisy rooms (most restaurants), anywhere where background music is playing and, since my loss is mainly low frequency, most men. Soft spoken men fell off of my possible Match list fast and furious! I speak the truth when I say that I have not heard 90% of what my beloved brother has said in the last 15 years. I wasn't willing to put myself or any guy through that.

My Boy Scout is as patient a man as I have ever met. Not once has he raised his voice in exasperation for having to repeat something for the 3rd or 4th time, although I know he must feel like it. Nor has he acted embarrassed when I've misheard a conversation with a third person and went off in the wrong direction. The frosting on the cake? The Boy Scout has a big booming voice and an even bigger laugh. I love it ♥  How perfect. He still whispers on occasion but it's ok. I weigh whether I think it is something vital that I need to know and, if not, I smile and let the moment go by, assuming that he is professing his undying love for me.

So blessed to be loved by people who support me in so many ways. Grateful beyond words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!