An Introverts Party

Last night was my office Christmas party. As a died-in-the-wool introvert with some social anxiety, parties can be a painful experience. Not this one though. This one is full of people, many of whom I have now known for 30 years, that I love and love me. Not necessarily close knit friends but all people who know my story and I know theirs.

I started working with them when I was 21, a damaged, insecure and untreated Al-Anon girl. Through the years we've had marriages, births, divorces and deaths, struggles with addictions and rejoicing over sobriety, shared between us all. We've had heartbreaks and blessed times. Self discovery over the last year and 1/2 has allowed me to see these events and these people in a whole new light, with more empathy and understanding and acceptance. A more unconditional love.....what a beautiful thing.

The night was bittersweet. I was with my new love and it was wonderful to be with him. He's gregarious and outgoing, funny and smart and has so many lovely qualities that could make every lady at the party a little bit envious. It was relaxed and easy. There was a small bit of sadness but very small and that was nice.

Life moves forward and my God keeps me grateful.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!