Don't Stay Stuck

When struggling with an issue, big or small, it is so much easier to do so having the "Just for Today" attitude.

I often struggle with control....needing everything to be alright. It mainly plays out with the people I am closest to. I don't need to rearrange someones flowers or flip a friends roll of toilet paper. But if I am willing to admit it, deep down, I want the behaviors of my people to be such that, when all is said and done, I am happy and content. How presumptuous of me to think that my comfort should be placed above someone else's right to make good or bad choices for themselves.

When did this need to control start? I don't really know for sure but what I do know is that it is destructive. Aside from messing up any chance of serenity I may hope to possess, it also damages my relationships. When the bar is set too high, people will avoid, rebel or just plain hide behaviors that might come under the scrutiny of a hard to please person.

So, I try this "Just for Today" way of dealing. Doing my best to NOT think that if the behavior continues it will escalate, that I may be embarrassed if someone notices or that someone I love may be hurt, etc.  Not dreading what the future "might" bring.

Attempting does not mean doing....it means I try and fail, try and fail and try again. If the fails seem to come a bit further apart then VICTORY. Each new day brings a fresh opportunity for me to do my best at being a kind person with excellent boundaries....the opposite of controlling. I can try to do this today....tomorrow isn't here yet so I don't have to worry about it.

Comments

  1. ...tomorrow isn't here yet so I don't have to worry about it....Great advice. I too like to worry about tomorrow. I've gotten so much better in the last 5 years. Praying helps me. So does letting go and letting God handle things His way. Learning to not sweat the small stuff really helped too. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Things I Have Learned