Thinned Skinned No More?

Just for Today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

I may have mentioned before that I was reading The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael Singer. It has been a tough read for me. The whole idea of the voice in my head not being me at all. I have kept at it and will keep doing so but in between I picked up The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, by Don Migul Ruiz.  Love this book to the moon! Applying the four concepts to my life fits right in with Al-Anon teachings and has, once again, allowed me to let go of a lot of baggage that weighs me down. The second agreement is to Take Nothing Personally. AWESOME! 


Don’t take anything personally is a beautiful tool of interaction with your own kind, human to human. And it’s a big ticket to personal freedom because you don’t have to rule your life according to other people’s opinions. This really frees you! You can do whatever you want to do, knowing that whatever you do has nothing to do with anyone but you. Once you understand that all humans live in their own world, in their own dream, the second agreement is pure common sense: Don’t take anything personally.~D. M. Ruiz

A lofty goal, I know, but I will keep trying. The other day someone in my life got very angry at me about something I said. It was legit and not meant to hurt; needed to be said. I realized that the anger had more to do with them than with me. By not becoming offended by the anger directed at me, we were able to avoid an argument and have a decent discussion later. Celebrate life's little victories everyday!

Not taking things personally ups my kindness factor exponentially,



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Don't Be A Bob

Let's Be Perfectly Clear