Acceptance

Life is good....there is always, always, always something to be grateful for.

Knowing that in your head and keeping it in your heart are two different things. As this lesson becomes imprinted upon my heart, my blog changes its nature. Slowly, it shifts focus from the heartache to the blessings.

At the onset, I needed this place to think things through, to connect with people with similar struggles, to document my brokenness and, hopefully, to see progress. More time goes by between entries as I reach higher for the whole person God intended. Without my High Power, I flounder. Without His mercy, this girl would still be raging and causing harm in this world. The past may have been painful, but it is gone now and the time to create a better future is here.

I found the following to be helpful in every day life, not just when there is substance abuse present.

Accept what is. While it is understandable to wish things were different, know that you are not alone, that family substance use is not your fault and that there is hope for your child or loved one. When you face the reality of your situation, the process of finding solutions becomes real and possibilities for healing begin to be more clear. You can begin the journey of moving forward to a better tomorrow. You don’t have to be as happy as your unhappiest child. You can be as happy as you allow yourself to be.       ~Cathy Taughinbaugh

I don't have to be as happy as my unhappiest loved one. Taking on the despair and unhappiness of another is damaging. A healthy empathy for others will empower me to support them in a more effective way and I will do so lovingly.

My goal is to continue to move towards a whole person, The person who is not thin-skinned, can laugh at her many shortcomings, can see the positive and lift those around her instead of tearing down and above all....be grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Things I Have Learned