Embracing a New Future




Today I put my home on the market. I love this house. Like so many of you, I have put my time, my money and my heart here. I've learned a few things though:


  • Don't invest your heart in a place. Your love and your memories do not count on the location being there. It's the people and the tenderness and the loyalty that took place there that is important. Family gatherings and heartfelt talks still happened even if you can't sit in the same room or walk down the same hallway.
  • Don't hold on to what is not healthy. As much as I would love to stay here, I cannot afford to do this on my own. Or maybe I could squeeze by but at the cost of a lot of other things that could bring much joy in my life.  A house or 3 or 4 long weekends away with my kids or a nice extended vacation?  No contest! Driving around in a high mileage car, worrying about whether I will make it home late at night or being able to afford a reliable new car. I'll take peace of mind over hanging on to the past any day. 
  • Don't look for a house to fill an emptiness. Get out there and challenge yourself. Say "Yes". Develop many healthy friendships. But mostly, learn to be content inside no matter what goes on around you. I've found the help to do that. I'm on my way.
  • Look at the bright side. I will make new, lovely memories. I can't wait to see what the future unfolds. Embrace a new adventure.
  • Take this time to CLEAN OUT. Getting rid of a lot of stuff that owns me instead of me owning it. My kids do not need a huge box of stuff that they brought home from school over their 13 year career. A few special items will do! They will appreciate the few things you loved rather than a box of JUNK that they will not know what to do with. Those items that were given to you a long time ago that are never brought out of the cupboard were given to you with love but they are NOT the love. It does not diminish the relationship to let go of the item. Let STUFF go!
I'm working on it!

Meanwhile, be kind as you never know what a person might be going through.

PS. Thought I'd show you what this baby looked like when we picked it out of all the available houses that called out to our family.  It's pretty ugly, I know, but it had good bones as they say.


Comments

  1. I like it, I like all of it. And it makes sense. We are all learning to value the truly important things. It isn't about the stuff. It's about the time you spend with the people you care about. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!