I Love Life


I have a tremendous sense of survival and self protection. I'm that person that plays it safe and follows the rules; rules of society and the rules that are in my head. Being a child of an alcoholic, in my distant past I decided that nothing good comes from drinking. I've never been drunk (although honestly it sounded pretty good in the last two years). I don't smoke, excercise fairly regularly, gave up a life long Pepsi habit, get my fiber and daily veggies, avoid public toilets...blah blah blah.  

Pretty boring girl, I know.  I recognize now that loving life and being in love with life are different.  I spent much of my time trying to make sure that everything was OK (which it wasn't) and trying to control the outcome of each bump in the road that presented itself, living in survival mode.  I feared the outcome, I feared what I would be left with.
  
Al-non has taught me that I have no control over any person but myself.  Trying to do so was making myself and those around me crazy with my pointless efforts.


"When a person attempts to control someone else's life, it only reflects the lack of control they have on their own." --Daniel Chidiac


Things are going to happen.  People we love will hurt us, they will make poor decisions that may hurt them.  It is their right to make those decisions.

From this point forward, to the best of my ability, I am living in the here and now. Controlling how I react to situations.  Allowing myself and my loved ones to try and to succeed or to fail....offering compassion and understanding instead of warnings and reprimands.  Offering a listening ear instead of bailouts.  

Loving this moment in time without fearing the future.

Are you living in the here and now?  I'd love to hear about you've achieved the goal of being present in your life.  

As usual, be kind to yourself.

Comments

  1. I love this... and see how similar our Virgo spirits are... love and hugs to you, Linda....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been drunk either! I think you and I are the only two in the world! Lol your Chidiac quote....ouch. Paragraph 2.....yes. That resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, That entry is over a year old and yet I still struggle. I guess it was over optimistic to think that I could quickly change a coping mechanism developed over a 50 year period.

      That's ok. I keep trying and that counts for much.

      Have a wonderful day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Don't Be A Bob

Let's Be Perfectly Clear