Clearing The Air

The Boy Scout and my youngest had what would have been called, at best, a complex relationship, and at worst, Like/Hate would be a good description.

The big man, with the big personality, came into our little house and upended life. I was not really ready to have him move in but that is another story entirely. He brought with him way too much stuff for 980 sq ft along with two rather large, rather smelly dogs that were aloof to intolerant much of the time. 

Alone, when it was just he and I, he was good but for others he frequently put on his "Tommy Suit" (the name I gave the personality that popped up and often offended people). My girl and he would butt heads and, for the most part, she just pretended like he wasn't there. He resented her presence in the kitchen, which he quickly took over after moving in. Maybe less her presence and more the debris left after her visit.

Over time they found a tolerable truce. He decided one day to just do the dishes that were left and stop feeling resentful. She acknowledge how much effort I put in loving the significant others of all 4 of my kids and tried a little harder.

My girl found herself other living arrangements about a month before our out-of-state move. The room she found is amazing and she has enough space for a kitchenette. She sent me these pics:


The Boy Scout, on the other hand, got this text:


I think it warmed his heart that she finally acknowledged, for the first time, someone was doing her dishes for her.

I think both of them are growing up.

Comments

  1. Funny text! She's good at self-deprecating humour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely space your daughter has!

    It's so hard to bring a new person into a home. We learned this when we had an exchange student for a year. People told us that when she was older, she'd appreciate what we did for her and she did. Growing up is a lifelong process :-) There's always space to grow a little more--at least I find that to be the case for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear