New Normal

I've operated my business for close to 30 years. In most of that time, I also remained attached to a 501c ( a religious organization) called Epic Ministries, where I kept the books. It worked out well. They got an accountant and I got free office space and the company of young, fun and committed co-workers, plus health insurance. I followed Epic to 3 different locations, worked through the death of the wonderful young CEO, watched numerous transformations and changes in trajectories. All the while, meeting fabulous people and building friendships.

That ended last year. They closed up shop and I went and found myself cheap office space and very expensive health insurance. It's a decent building with about 30 other little offices. I haven't met a whole lot of people here since I keep different hours than most but I recognize and exchange pleasantries with quite a few. 

Over the past 12 weeks the offices have slowly cleared out. COVID has made itself know here. The 3 architects are gone, 4 masseuses vanished, most of the counselors have disappeared and now my lovely neighbor is gone. I wish I had had the chance to say goodbye. I hope they land on their feet. I get it. I am planning on moving my work home too. Saving $575 bucks a month sounds pretty good after the weeks and weeks of living off the government. Plus, my new converted garage will be done shortly. No reason to stay here when there will be plenty of space there.

I am feeling the old familiar sadness that I felt as each of my fellow employees left Epic until it was only one....me. This time, I don't plan on being the last man standing. I think I may give my 30 days notice on the first. And on a bright note, my commute will be a walk across the back patio.

On to the next adventure, on to the new normal.

Comments

  1. Rick had to move his office home at one point many moons ago and it has been there ever since. (They did a full remodel and it got too expensive.) He did get to say goodbye. He said the only bad thing about it (he's very disciplined and can work well at home) is the isolation. So once a week he takes his laptop to Panera to work (or did -- not since Covid). Even though he doesn't really connect with other customers, the help knows him and he sees people. Or did. Till Covid... You'll lke the 575 each month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a change is good for the mind and body. It will be different but good I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A real sign of the times, as you say. Best of luck working from your new home office! It's great that you have a dedicated space for that in your newly converted garage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bring into your new office space all the pretty things you like: pix of your kids, plants, art, some silly things. hopefully the new space has plenty of natural light. saving $575 should help pay for the expensive health insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the exception of working at the airport I have always worked from home. My last career I worked in Manhattan and some of upstate NY while living in NoVa. I took the train to the city I love which my spousal unit hates. I got the city and could come home happy. The days I did not travel I worked from home. Rick didn't have to go the NYC and was happy. It worked. I am pretty disciplined so all the things that others say bother than I have never had to deal with (family at home while I work) But I do think it's takes structure and a discipline not to stop to do laundry, watch tv or whatever. I admit i work longer hours than if I were in an office. But I also get to work in leggings and a T-shirt so to me the pro's outway the con's. But I do admit it gets lonely, hence the start of a blog. :-) My lunch breaks aren't exciting as if I worked in an office and got to have lunch with others. It's me and my dog and a long walk. It does take some getting used to and making others understand,"I am working right now" That is another tough thing that would rear it's head. I wish you much success and give it time, I think you will find it enjoyable, The commute is excellent. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem I had is that I would work too much. I think I may have that under control now.

      Delete
  6. It's good that you'll be able to work from home. It'll keep you safe until this new normal changes, and we can get maybe get back to more openings. Take care there and stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very sorry for the struggle, but very pleased that you have a great alternative! I'm sure you will miss the neighbor's camaraderie, but we gotta do what we gotta do, to survive. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have a good plan. Wishing it works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A change is a good thing and I am sure you'll figure out how to make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Change is always hard for me, even good changes. That does sound like a lovely commute:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear