It can be hard to put my whole self out there. It can be hard to know who I am in some situations. When someone from the past asks about child #3, they will say things like, How is Prescott doing? How’s he liking England or Portland or his work etc. When that happens now, because everyone important or close has been told, I have to dig deep. Who am I in this situation? Do I just say, “SHE”, and go on with the conversation as if it is nothing big? It is big! Do I smile wide and say “oh, she’s in the process of transitioning”, without going into anything else. Do I let them ask questions? Do I know how to answer? This is her personal journey. I am a bystander, a caring one, but bystander just the same. Do I avoid the subject completely and just be careful with pronouns so that I am not disloyal. If I am avoiding, am I being disloyal? Maybe they haven’t earned the right to hear her story. There is a protective defensiveness that I have to be aware of too. My feelings are still comple...
I am in total agreement with you. And him. This nightmare needs to end.
ReplyDeleteI saw that. Best ever. He covered so much in a few minutes. Genius.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this! I'm without telly this summer and haven't been keeping up online. I love him. Did you know when I did my genealogy I found out we were seventh (I think) cousins? I'm glad I'm not related to the subject of his monologue!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteColbert told it exactly like it is!!
ReplyDeleteAll hail Steven Colbert, LOL! I'm reminded of the Vietnam War era, when the common Republican and right-wing response to anti-war demonstrators was "America: Love It or Leave It." Guess they're dusting off that old chestnut for another go-around.
ReplyDeleteWow! Love it.
ReplyDelete