Not Everyone Has It

Privilege: a right, immunity or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of some or most.

When growing as a person, it seems important to take note of the extras I have in my life that are not afforded to many others. This, of course, includes the basics of food, water and shelter but beyond that there is so much more.

Being a white, upper middle income woman affords me what many in this country do not have. There is responsibility to not only be grateful for but to recognize the advantages are so abundant that they add the duty of action on my part. To speak out, help out and love.

My grateful list today:

  • to love and be loved by someone
  • good relationships with my kids
  • faith
  • access to healthcare
  • knowing my kids will not be targeting because of how they look
  • the ability to help my loved ones over life's hurdles
  • a car that is reliable and the ability to repair it
  • the honor of being able to help the hungry or homeless
  • a home that is warm and relatively safe 
  • the resources to own a companion animal and to care for its needs.
  • the safety net of an extended family that cares
There is so much more.....

I am hoping that you are warm, healthy, well fed and feeling grateful today.






Comments

  1. This is such a beautiful reminder, Linda. I'm thinking maybe you do a gratitude journal, too. The best thing ever from my Simple Abundance book. I love your list and find many similarities. Much joy to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept a gratitude journal until gratitude became a normal part of every day. It has made me appreciate even the smallest things in my life. Your gratitude journey is well underway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent definition of Privilege. My therapist had me keeping a gratitude journal and it did wonders. Maybe it's time to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shows. Your writing is positive and vulnerable. Very relatable.

      Delete
  4. I love the privilege definition. I saw it this morning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost every person is a mixture of privilege and lack of privilege. The trick is to recognize each for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful list. Every morning I think about what I'm grateful for. It's a good way to start off on a positive note and appreciate where I'm at. Sometimes we forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to do so, especially when out of the habit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Go!

Let's Be Perfectly Clear