A Word To The Wise

“We don’t become our wisest selves without effort. Our growth requires us to become skilled in perspective taking, in managing our emotions, in crafting positive narratives, and in forming intimate relationships. We develop the skills of building joy, gratitude, and meaning into every day. By learning these lessons, we cultivate emotional resilience.
~Mary Pipher, Women Rowing North

I love the idea of being able to grow and change still at 55. So many people hit adulthood and then go on cruise control, and while they still take in facts, perhaps know more about the world, in the important areas like emotional resilience, gratitude and intimacy, they remain stagnant. As if the act of becoming an adult, turning 18 or 21, formed who you essentially are and there is nothing more to be done in the arena. I am very interested in the positive narrative. Looking at situations that anger, confound or frustrate, then trying to see them from a different point of view. Not making ugly assumptions or, at least, trying to see the broken person beneath the action.

I plan on growing until the day I die, there's always room for improvement.

Comments

  1. at age 65, I am teaching myself to crochet watching a youtube video. I am a knitter already. ain't gonna give up knitting though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I agree about growth. Do you recognize the person you were at 18 or 21 or 30? I do, but I don't. She'll always be a part of me -- but the me now is so much more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning to love her and have compassion for the mistakes she made. A part of growth to be sure.

      Delete
  3. I agree -- lifelong emotional growth is as important as lifelong learning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyday brings change and I'm glad. The knowledge that you gather through the years is valuable to you as you are today.
    Enjoy your day, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figure when I stop evolving I will die. It is a life long process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am nearly 68 and try to get better every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss your blog Jono. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  7. Change and growth never end. That's why life can be such a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for everyone though. We are the lucky ones.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that?

Popular posts from this blog

Private Eye

Let's Be Perfectly Clear

Go!